Each week, I intend to post what we’re consuming – food and media – for a couple reasons:
- To chronicle our actions
- To provide ideas for others
- To take our attention from the news
- To stay sane (see #3)
You’ll notice that there have not been any books mentioned on here, and that is an astute observation. I have been on a reading hiatus, trying to keep my head above water with a new work format while writing a new unit. I just haven’t had it in me after hours spent reading at my computer to crack open a book.
Until now. Here are some of the books I’ve picked out for the next week or two:
- ‘What If It’s Us’ – Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera
- ‘The Border Trilogy’ – Cormac McCarthy
- ‘Daisy Jones and the Six’ – Taylor Jenkins Reid
‘Tiger King’ – Joe Exotic, name says it all – Polygamy, meth, guns, murder for hire, BIG cats, and private zoos. Like, what?
- Every episode gets more and more ridiculous and just when you think the unsavory character level has reached its max, here comes Jeff Lowe, Doc Antle, some Miami coke runner, the worst hitman in the history of hitmen, the Louie Andersen look-a-like, another husband for Joe, a horrific bull-tattoo cover up tattoo, and of course the husband-killer Carole Baskin and her accessory Howard.
- By the end of it, you can’t help but feel sorry for poor old Joe (in a messed up, disregarding he probably burned down his alligator lair, killed lions, unwittingly embezzled, fed lions, employees and customers rotting meat, and plied impressionable young men with meth kind of way).
‘After Truth’ – Have made it to the same part twice – right after the Comet Pizza segment – and haven’t finished it yet. I think we’re becoming too used to the one hour docuseries set up. We simply cannot keep our focus for more than hour blocks at a time. Now, I know how my students feel.
- Tuesday, 3/24 Lunch: Festive Turkey Wrap – Ovengold turkey breast, turkey bacon, crumbled cheddar, roasted brussels sprouts, sliced yam, diced onion, arugula, on a spinach wrap with a splash of Ken’s Italian (the best in the game).
- Tuesday, 3/24 Dinner: Greek meatloaf – lamb, beef, parsley, garlic, parmesan, salt, pepper – green-leaf salad with roasted brussels sprouts, chunked yam, and chopped onion tossed in a homemade Italian herb and garlic dressing, and white cheddar macaroni and cheese (Amanda’s secret: hit it with the truffle salt).
- Wednesday, 3/25 Dinner: Taco Wednesday highlight: Black bean and quinoa side – olive oil, shallots, boil-in-a-bag quinoa, diced red pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper.
- Thursday, 3/26 Lunch: Arugula and spinach salad – Ovengold turkey breast, sliced yam, diced peppers, arugula, spinach, homemade Italian herb dressing.
- Sunday, 3/29 Lunch: Homemade beef soup – cut NY Strip, shallots, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, parsley, garlic, truffle salt, black pepper, chicken stock (ran out of beef).
‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ – Not enough of this season, although it was a YUGE phallus-packed season finale with Leon leading the Johnson brigade.
‘Schitt’s Creek’ – So, we all of a sudden get the Pop Network? That’s the best news to come out of subscription television since DVR came on the scene. And we didn’t know there was a new season, so that’s definitely what we’re doing.
Movies: Rerun city this week – bits and pieces of the following
- Mrs. Doubtfire – A classic despite its unduly harsh Metacritic rating. Always cry towards the end. And then I remember Robin Williams is dead, and I cry some more.
- Wedding Crashers – Need at least watch the first forty-five before it starts getting mushy and sentimental and goes downhill fast.
- Talladega Nights – John C. Reilly is a big-time sleeper in this movie along with Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP). Just watch the scenes of Ricky in the hospital and you’ll be reminded just how magical these characters are.
- The First Wives Club – You know you’re in self-isolation when you’re watching The First Wives Club.
What’s up for this week: Working, reading, writing (hopefully), staying on an exercise regimen (check out Fitbod app ASAP), watching 1917 and getting into Ozark.